Thursday, July 7, 2011

Welcome to Kathy Reinhart







Welcome Kathy, I am so happy you agreed to be here today, tell me when did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I don’t think I realized I ‘wanted’ to be a writer as much as one day I realized I ‘could’ be a writer. It was after reading a book by a very successful author whose style I don’t particularly care for. While reading it I remember thinking of the different ways I would have done it if I had been the one to write it. That doesn’t happen often, I usually enjoy a book as is, but that was how that particular book affected me. Shortly afterward I began submitting articles to Ezines and then wrote my first book, ‘Pretty Lies’, which I never submitted to anyone.


Your latest book sounds exciting where did you get the ideas?

Well, ‘Lily White Lies’ is about a woman of a certain age. She reaches a place in her life and suddenly finds herself looking back. She realizes that she’s been complacent in her life, afraid to ask questions when things around her didn’t seem right, ignoring the subtle signs of relationship in trouble and realizing that the only way to catch her dreams was to chase them. When I wrote it, I was in Meg’s shoes. I think I drew a lot from my own life experiences. Like Meg, I had to figure out if who I was, was who I wanted to be.

I think many women will identify with this theme. Your book Missouri in a Suitcase has a very different feel to it, you write about the relationship between a brother and a sister, how difficult was that?

Writing about the relationship between a brother and sister was different from what I have written in the past, but not necessarily difficult. What was challenging was the fact that ten-year-old Tommy doesn’t speak for three quarters of the book. Lizabeth, his sister, suddenly finds herself his legal guardian after tragedy strikes and reading the book takes you through her frustrations, the emotional ride that Tommy’s challenges take her on and ultimately, the bond between them that eventually brings him out of his hiding place. The interaction between them is quite emotional at times.

Do you do a lot of research?

I do now. I am going to admit a huge faux pas on my part and tell you that when I first began writing, it was mostly for online enthusiast publications, and mostly about horses and the like. That was how I got my feet wet and when I turned my hand over to novel writing, I paid little attention to the mechanics believing that all I had to do was put the story in my head on paper, spell it all correctly and make sure I used punctuation. That might be a little exaggerated, but at that time, I believed fiction covered ALL aspects of writing, not just the people, places and events. When I wrote ‘Missouri in a Suitcase’ I did not research the ‘police scenes’, the legal aspects of the story, relying more on what I had heard in the past or seen on t.v. Although people to this day tell me how much they love it, I think I could have made it better had I researched that area more. I don’t think it would have changed the overall feel of the story but it would have given a little more authenticity to that part, however small it was.

I think sometimes we can “over” research. I know I used to do that. If the story flows that is what is important, unless there is a silly mistake. If your readers believe it realistic then it is. What kind of things do you like to do when you are not wearing your writer’s hat?

Nick and I are big on day (long weekend) trips. We also have horses but due to the demands on our time recently, we don’t ride nearly as often as we once did. I love to cook, antique and relax by any body of water. There are a few big changes coming for us in the very near future so we’ll see where they take us.

Ah, you are going to keep us waiting to find out what those big changes are! You also advise writers – what was the best advice you had?

The advice I usually offer is to never stop learning. I don’t think it matters how successful you become, there is still room to learn. Trends change, reader’s expectations change and we all know how much the industry itself has changed and will continue to do so. I believe you have to stay ahead of it, know what is expected and what you can do to stay competitive in a very subjective market.


Kathy, you conduct a weekly interview blog called Ink Drop Interviews. What made you decide to do that and how has it been received?

I began Ink Drop Interviews about eight weeks ago. I guess my decision to do it was brought about by the ever-changing industry. There was a time when you wrote your book and once you signed your contract, the publisher did ‘most’ of the legwork -the marketing and promoting. Not to say that authors didn’t have obligation in it, but not the way they do now. To be a writer now is similar to a plate and stick-balancing act, spending time almost equally between writing and promoting, building a platform, networking and such. I know my blog only reaches a small audience, but it is my humble attempt to pay back what has been given to me. I discriminate against no one, I believe everyone has the right to be heard and that it is ultimately the reader who will decide whether they want to hear more from a particular author.

That sounds like a very useful blog. Thank you so much for being here; it’s been such a treat talking with you.

Lily White Lies on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lily-White-Lies-Kathy-Reinhart/dp/0971327882/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309893698&sr=1-1

Lily White Lies for eReader on Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/70125

5 comments:

Kathy Reinhart said...

Margaret and friends,

Thank you for having me!!

Kathy

margaret blake said...

Thank you, Kathy, it was lovely to have you here.

Kathleen said...

Good interview, ladies. Sounds like a terrific book.

yinxue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarita Leone said...

What a lovely interview! Kathy, thanks so much for visiting with us. Your book sounds intriguing!