Friday, July 29, 2011

Gardness Goodness

Oh my goodness...the crops are coming in here on the farm. There are blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, nectarines, potatoes, onions, peppers, tomatoes... You get the idea. A lot of picking and canning going on now!

We plant extra zucchini plants just so we can get the blossoms. They are abundant now. I've got great recipe to share, just in case they're available in your neighborhood (or backyard!) too.

Hope you enjoy the recipe. And have a peaceful Friday!

A favorite in our house!

Fried Zucchini Blossoms

zucchini blossoms
2 cups whole milk
4 Tablespoons
flour
An egg, lightly beaten
Salt
Olive oil for frying

Trim the stems of the zucchini blossoms, remove flower parts from inside the blossom and wash gently them gently. Pat them dry, using a delicate touch. Combine the milk, flour and egg.

Heat the oil in a deep pan.

Lightly salt the zucchini blossoms then dredge them in batter. Immediately drop them into the oil and fry them until golden. Drain on paper towels, then serve them hot.

Make more than you think you'll need. Believe me. Make more.

3 comments:

margaret blake said...

Sounds delicious. Curiously, we call zuccini, courgettes!
Whenn I first got to the US in the sixties I wondered for ages what the exotic vegetable/fruit a zuccini was!

Mary said...

These sound fantastic! I see them in Italian restaurants but I never really know what they are. Now I do. Thanks!!

Melissa McClone said...

We just had fresh zucchini last night. I'll have to bookmark this recipe for the next time!