Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Plot for One

Last week I was watching a Frasier rerun and there was Niles on the phone ordering up a 'plot for one.' Being a writer, I assumed he was purchasing a story line for a novel. But that wasn't it. The divorced character was in a gloomy mood and ordering a solitary cemetery plot.

Still, It got me thinking. Don't writers always start with a plot for one? If your material doesn't delight and please you, it's doubtful it's going to snare readers. There are exceptions, I know. Famous writers are sometimes forced to grind out books in a series they are tired of.

But as a nearly unknown, I can choose my plots and characters. Last year I read a Mary Balogh novel about a woman falling in love with a hero gravely injured in the Napoleonic wars. He, of course, didn't feel anyone could love him. It was a marvelous book and got me wondering if I could write a romance where the heroine is disabled and though accomplished and attractive feels unloveable. And so I asked Margaret Blake if she would read a light romantic comedy where it's the heroine (not the shot-up detective) that is disabled. She told me to go for it and so I have. And though I have a book that may be a trifle difficult to market, I've had a wonderful time writing it.

5 comments:

margaret blake said...

I saw that Frasier recently, it is so funny. Of course I am in love with Niles.

Your novel is wonderful, I love the heroine. But the guy is pretty cool too, and you know I feel that way, Kathy.

Good luck with this wonderful book.

Margaret B

Sarita Leone said...

Kathy, the book sounds super! I love the idea of the physically flawed heroine. What a hurdle for the lovers to leap. Very realistic and heartwarming.

I'm looking forward to reading this story. Good luck with it. Does it have a title? I'm always so curious about titles. :)

Great post. I would have thought the same thing about the plot for one!

:)

Tory Richards said...

Wonderful idea, Kathy! Just think of the hope and happiness you will give your readers who do have flaws they think keep them from being desirable. It just might be what they need to boost their confidence!

I used to watch Frasier, Niles of course was my favorite.

Kathleen said...

Thanks, ladies. Sarita, I have a working title but don't like it much. Am waiting for inspiration.

Sarita Leone said...

Kathy that's so funny! I've got a novel whose working title makes the little hairs on the back of my neck go up, I dislike it so much!

Maybe we should switch?

Good luck with yours. :)